找回密码
 注册

快捷登录

【转载】Nissan Maxima Review and Road Test

Adam.lEe.X 2009-8-10 01:13:31 阅读 9893 来自: 澳大利亚
2009 Nissan Maxima 250ST-L and 350Ti Road Test and Review
The definition of ‘bang for your buck’!
Models Tested:
  • 2009 Nissan Maxima 350Ti  (as pictured), 3.5-litre V6, CVT – $46,990.
  • 2009 Nissan Maxima 250ST-L 2.5-litre V6, CVT – $33,990.
Options:
  • None fitted.
ST-L: Fuel economy; price point; interior room. Ti: Performance, features, price.
Handling; lack of promotion.
CarAdvice Rating:
- by Paul Maric
As far as cars go, they don’t get anything less entertaining than the Toyota Camry, I mean, let’s face it, although it may look rather inoffensive it’s as uninteresting as cars come.
As such, Nissan has decided to give the Maxima another shot. The outgoing Maxima was always a bit of a non-event. It had a decent engine and was good as a family car but never really offered much more, sort of a quirky looking Camry.
With the J32 Maxima though, a fresh design and an artillery of features make it a car which will actually make it onto the list of family men and women who are after an accommodating car that offers the full gauntlet – features, size and a respectable brand marque.

I drove two Maximas over a two-week period – the ST-L base model and the Ti top-spec model.
Normally, this type of test becomes somewhat tiresome if the vehicle being tested doesn’t really offer much excitement.
The Maxima test was interesting; I started off in the ST-L 250. At first I thought I’d confused things and ended up in the top-spec car first as it was fitted with a full leather interior and what seemed like a punchy V6.
A keyless fob is used to get in and out of the vehicle, with the key slotting into the dashboard to start the car. From the get go, there is a feeling of prestige and comfort. A near silent engine note on start-up is fitting for a cabin that feels far more spacious than each of its competition.

A comfy steering wheel and very comfortable seats make driving the Maxima a pleasure and not simply a chore. Front and rear legroom is very impressive, as is headroom. Visibility is good out of all sides, except the rear, mainly when reversing.
The ST-L’s lack of rear parking sensors or reverse camera makes it hard to judge parking, especially due to the Maxima’s large boot. Luckily though, parking sensors and a reverse camera are standard fitment on the up-spec Ti model.
Surely people would buy a Camry over a Maxima to save money at the fuel pump though?
Well, if you think that, you’ll most certainly be in for a shock, as the 2.5-litre, V6 featured in the 250 ST-L produces 134kW and 228Nm.

If you purely look at the numbers, it sounds disappointing, doesn’t it?
Well, I thought so too before I really got stuck into it. Instead of a regular cog-swapping affair, the entire Maxima range is fitted with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). It extracts absolutely every last Newton-metre out of this engine.
Regular cruising is relaxed and well…cruisey, but when you really need things to happen, the revs jump and the 2.5-litre unit really begins singing. The best part about this configuration is the fuel consumption – 9.5-litres per 100km.

Yep, about half a litre per 100km less than the Camry and not only does it haul, it’s bigger inside than the Camry, it uses less fuel and despite the extra zip, has lower carbon emissions than the Camry and petrol Mondeo.
Cornering is nothing to write home about. There’s a bit of body roll to contend with and the tyres could do with a bit more grip. But, this type of thing is probably unlikely to worry potential Maxima owners.
Brake feel is spot on and the brakes do a great job of pulling up the Maxima in respectable fashion.

Surely the Maxima has some downsides? The foot operated park brake is an archaic thing of the past that Nissan insists on using. Then there’s the screen, which is obviously a placeholder for the satellite navigation in the up-spec Ti model, it just seems wasted on the ST-L variant, which uses the screen for radio and climate information.
Already impressed with the ST-L, I was keen to see how the Ti would differ in terms of performance and features. I went from being very pleased with the ST-L, to be ultra-impressed with the Ti.
I’m a man who likes having power on demand and the Ti well and truly fulfilled that need. Fitted with a 3.5-litre, V6 engine, it produces 185kW and 326Nm. It’s more than enough to put a smile on your face, especially with its sonorous Z-like engine note.

The addition of bum warmers and satellite navigation were also a welcome contribution. Although the satellite navigation is a bit fiddly at times, the colour screen fills the ST-L’s black abyss quite nicely. The reverse camera with parking sensors is also a pleasant add-on.
Starting the car is also a keyless affair. A proximity sensor based in the key allows the driver to approach and unlock the car with the press of a button on the door. Then it’s a jab of the starter button to get the car started.
While the 250 ST-L uses a frugal 9.5-litres/100km, the Ti uses marginally more at 10.2-litres/100km.

The handling doesn’t really improve too much with the step up to the Ti, so it’s more of a straight-line affair when it comes to harder driving.
Much like most Nissan V6’s, there’s no room to drop a spanner in the engine bay, it’s very cramped. It’s not much of an issue for the regular punter, but I could see it increasing servicing costs down the track when things need changing and replacing.
Let’s talk money. There’s no use having frugal V6’s, massive interiors and plenty of features if it costs a fortune.
The base 250 ST-L starts at $33,990, the 350 ST-S begins at $37,990, while the 350 Ti starts at $46,990.

Standard features included in the 250 ST-L include: ABS with EBA & EBD, ESP, six airbags, dusk sensing xenon headlamps, front and rear fog lamps, LED tail lamps, black leather trim, cruise control, dual-zone climate control air-conditioning, power folding mirrors with integrated indicators, an eight-way electric driver’s seat, four-way electric passenger seat, six-CD tuner with MP3 compatibility and an auxiliary input, push-button start and 17-inch alloy wheels (including full-size alloy spare).
While the Ti adds: rear spoiler and rear park assist, intelligent key system and heated front seats, electric tilt-slide sunroof, memory enabled electric front seats, satellite navigation, rear parking camera, Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity and, perhaps best of all, an 11-speaker Bose full Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound audio system on top of the features already found in the 250 ST-L and 350 ST-S combined.
I’m not sure if I’d fork out for the $46,990 Ti, but you could bet your bottom dollar that I’d be putting my money on the ST-L if I had to pick between the Maxima and its extensive list of competition.

By the same token though, the Ti is still extremely good value for money.
The features, drive and room are impossible to overlook. Although the styling is rather ‘hate it or love it’, the rest of its credentials well and truly go beyond what you would expect in this price range.
Nissan have quite possibly created one of the best large sedans in this segment, which is almost the easy part.
Now they just need to let everyone know about this newfound feat. If previous experience is anything to go by, this car will be lost in the mystical beyond because of poor marketing.
Ratings:
Nissan Maxima 350Ti

CarAdvice Overall Rating:
How does it Drive:
How does it Look:
How does it Go:
Specifications:
  • Engine: 3498cc V6
  • Power: 185kW @ 6000rpm
  • Torque: 326Nm @ 4400rpm
  • Induction: Naturally aspirated
  • Transmission: Continually Variable Transmission (CVT)
  • Driven Wheels: Front wheel drive
  • Brakes: Four wheel discs
  • Top Speed: N/A
  • 0-100km/h: N/A
  • CO2 Emissions: 243g/km
  • Fuel Consumption: 10.2-litres/100km
  • Fuel Consumption: 10.3-litres/100km (as tested)
  • Fuel Tank Capacity: 70-litres
  • Fuel Type: 91RON
  • ANCAP Rating: N/A
  • Airbags: Six
  • Safety: ABS brakes with BA. Electronic Stability Control.
  • Spare Wheel: Full size spare
  • Suspension: Independent with stabiliser (front), multi-link with stabiliser (rear)
  • Cargo Capacity: 506-litres
  • Tow Capacity: 1200kg/750kg (braked/unbraked)
  • Turning Circle: 11.4 metres
  • Warranty: Three-year/100,000km
  • Weight: 1576kg
  • Wheels: Alloy with 215/55R17 tyres
Nissan Maxima 250ST-L

CarAdvice Overall Rating:
How does it Drive:
How does it Look:
How does it Go:
Specifications:
  • Engine: 2496cc V6
  • Power: 134kW @ 6000rpm
  • Torque: 228Nm @ 4400rpm
  • Induction: Naturally aspirated
  • Transmission: Continually Variable Transmission (CVT)
  • Driven Wheels: Front wheel drive
  • Brakes: Four wheel discs
  • Top Speed: N/A
  • 0-100km/h: N/A
  • CO2 Emissions: 226g/km
  • Fuel Consumption: 9.5-litres/100km
  • Fuel Consumption: 9.4-litres/100km (as tested)
  • Fuel Tank Capacity: 70-litres
  • Fuel Type: 91RON
  • ANCAP Rating: N/A
  • Airbags: SIx
  • Safety: ABS brakes with BA. Electronic Stability Control.
  • Spare Wheel: Full size spare
  • Suspension: Independent with stabiliser (front), multi-link with stabiliser (rear)
  • Cargo Capacity: 506-litres
  • Tow Capacity: 1200kg/750kg (braked/unbraked)
  • Turning Circle: 11.4 metres
  • Warranty: 3-year/100,000km
  • Weight: 1516kg
  • Wheels: Alloy with 215/55R17 tyres
(0)
Adam.lEe.X

发表回复

评论列表(3条)

bulekuler 来自: 澳大利亚

举报

喜欢这辆车
回复 · 2009-8-10 10:42:50