找回密码
 注册

快捷登录

第一次入境澳大利亚的同学请注意

ceciliachiu 2013-2-2 22:54:54 显示全部楼层 阅读模式 打印 上一主题 下一主题 来自: 澳大利亚
I have been advising a student who will start her study in Tasmania soon about clearing customs upon entry into the country.  I will reorganise my notes here so that other freshmen will also benefit. (Sorry that I am writing in English as Chinese inputting on computer, for me, is too time consuming.)

1) Clearing customs at the first port of entry. There is no international passenger airport per se in Tasmania (even though the Hobart airport calls itself Hobart International Airport).  When you change for a connecting flight to Tasmania in a mainland Australian city (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, etc.), you MUST collect all your luggage (BOTH handcarry and checked in) and go through customs there.

Australia has very stringent (the fussiest in the world, I would say) quarantine rules. On the international flight, the air stewardess should give you a landing card. You need to answer honestly, in particular about food and other quarantine items.  Food means anything you can ingest, such as lolly, chocolate, biscuits and you MUST declare them if you have any with you. Food from the airplane is certainly a NO, NO and so finish everything on the plane. Customs officers at the airport will search basically every luggage and they have sniffer dogs on duty too. If they find food items that have not been declared, you will be in trouble. I am not kidding.

To check out what you may be allowed to bring (AND must declare) and what not, visit this web page: http://www.csu.edu.au/international/starting-on-campus/immigration-and-customs-regulations

My advice is that if you are bringing in any must declare items, gather these items in one piece of luggage. At the custom, tell the officer that you have all must declare items in one place and sometimes they will open only that piece of luggage and leave the rest (unless you look suspicious or there are not many passengers in the queue).

2) Make sure you have sufficient baggage allowance, in particular for the domestic leg between the Australian mainland and Tasmania. Most domestic flights in Australia only allow 10kg carry on unless you are advised otherwise.  Domestic airlines here are very strict about excess (they will weigh your carry-on) and they charge a hefty rate on the spot.  If you think you are likely to bring in more than the allowed weight, you can buy extra luggage online or ask your agent to buy it for you (depending on how you get your domestic ticket). Pre-booked extra luggage costs much less.

3) Allow at least 3 hours between flights. At times, clearing customs at the airports can be extremely slow. Therefore, make sure your arrival time and departure time for Launceston/Hobart at the first port of entry is at least 3 hours apart (5 hours will be more prudent).   Jetstar and Qantas will close their domestic counters strictly 30 min before departure. You might have been queuing up for more than an hour in the domestic terminal (they have a single queue system). If you can't get to your counter 30 mins beforehand, you are out and they don't care. I must say changing flights in Australia can be very stressful.

4) Check out how far apart the domestic terminal and the international terminal are at your first port of entry. Melbourne Tullamarine is easy.  The two terminals are adjacent to each other and the walk is very short. The international terminal and the domestic terminal of Sydney Airport are far apart. You have to take either an airline shuttle bus, an airport shuttle bus, the underground or a taxi. If you are arriving at the Sydney Airport, check your airline if they will provide shuttle bus services and if that will be free (normally it should be). The later three will cost you money and make sure you have at least AUD30 in cash.

If you have any question or if you want me to explain in Chinese, please feel free to ask.  I will try my best to answer.

Welcome to Tasmania in advance!

大神点评(21)

Mao 2013-2-7 23:18:30 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
匿名者 发表于 2013-2-6 09:30
一堆废话 却还用一种人模狗样的语气拿英语写 楼主什么心态

希望你能尊重一下别人,如果你有时间的话也可以来写一些东西帮助别人,摆正好心态谢谢
回复 支持 0 反对 1

使用道具 举报

ForrestOceann 2013-2-3 01:35:08 显示全部楼层 来自: 马来西亚
本帖最后由 ForrestOceann 于 2013-2-3 02:16 编辑

=) thanks, i must say your post is really helpful.

另外,也請網上訂購飛機票的同學注意,出發的前幾天請記得確認起飛/抵達時間, 航班等等 (flight schedule etc), 提前做好準備.
航空公司不一定第一時間通知乘客itinerary變更.
我的經驗是沒有通知, 自己查詢了才發現的 (Jetsar Airline).

謝謝!
也祝開學愉快~ =)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

tas2011 2013-2-6 07:53:53 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
姐姐   我只是想说  第一次来澳洲的童鞋估计不愿意看哦   全是英文的,你会把人家吓着的
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

匿名  发表于 2013-2-6 09:30:14 来自: 澳大利亚
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

abaobaomama 2013-2-6 11:15:10 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
tas2011 发表于 2013-2-6 07:53
姐姐   我只是想说  第一次来澳洲的童鞋估计不愿意看哦   全是英文的,你会把人家吓着的 ...

别见怪,这个姐姐是好人,总是全英文的。也帮助大家提高英文水平嘛,你多看看,就习惯了。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

abaobaomama 2013-2-6 11:25:13 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚

英文和中文都是这个论坛里被大众接受的语种,LZ有权用自己更擅长的语言表达,没什么错吧。这个论坛里不单单只有中国大陆的,香港,台湾,加拿大甚至韩国的朋友都有,人家可能更擅长用英语表达。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

ceciliachiu 楼主 2013-2-7 21:52:11 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚

谢谢几位的点评,我在一开始已经说了,用英语写是因为快(我打中文太慢)。结尾也说了如果需要我用中文解释,我会尽力。来了塔州以后,我是很努力学习普通话跟本地的中国人交谈,现在也在学用搜狗打简体字,速度还不是太好。

我也希望寄语在海外生活的中国人,你在人家地方住,该学习用人家的语言,也该多跟本地人交朋友。囿于自己的世界,只会变成井底之蛙。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

AllenW 2013-2-7 22:02:30 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
出国不看英文。。。真搞笑。  
看不懂就别早借口。
另分享第一次出国碰到的问题。。。。国际转国内航班时,换登机牌是自助式的。{:soso_e153:}
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

Mao 2013-2-7 23:19:19 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
谢谢 ceciliachiu  分享!每次发的东西都是精华啊!
回复 支持 反对